Institute for Museum and Library Services
The mission of IMLS is to inspire libraries and museums to advance innovation, lifelong learning, and cultural and civic engagement. We provide leadership through research, policy development, and grant making. IMLS supports key issues of national concern.
Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI)
The Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI) supports shared innovation in metadata design and best practices across a broad range of purposes and business models.
DCMI does this by:
- Managing long term curation and development of DCMI specifications and metadata terms namespaces;
- Managing ongoing discussion of current DCMI-wide work themes;
- Setting up and managing international and regional events;
- Curation and open availability of meeting assets including proceedings, project reports and meeting minutes;
- Creation and delivery of training resources in metadata best practices including tutorials, webinars and workshops; and
- Coordinating the global community of DCMI volunteers.
Each year, the world creates more than 281 billion gigabytes of information. So much information can be overwhelming. Rigorous study of the users and uses of information at the UW iSchool helps answer questions like
- How can we connect people with the right information at the right time?
- How can we use information to help people achieve their potential?
- How can we harness information’s capacity as an agent for positive change?