This video presentation demonstrates how to construct SPARQL queries simply and easily using the Wikidata Query Service. It works through an example of searching for notable females educated at the University of Edinburgh, with results filtered by place of birth. The data is then visualized with images, timelines, maps, and in the new Timeline Viewer using Histropedia.
Keywords: Wikidata, Histropedia, SPARQL
Author: McAndrew, Ewan
Date created: 2016-09-02 04:00:00.000
Time required: P30M
Educational use: instruction
Educational audience: professional
Interactivity type: expositive
- Formulates advanced queries on a remote SPARQL endpoint using the SERVICE directive.
- Reads and understands high-level descriptions of the classes and properties of a dataset in order to write queries.
- Understands the basic syntax of a SPARQL query.
- Uses available tools, servers, and endpoints to issue queries against a dataset.
- Uses publicly available tools to visualize data.